We Have Been
Providing Outstanding Advice
Information and Encouragement Supporting
to Quit Smoking For the Past 30 Years!
Spit Tobacco Use
This information is made available from the
National Institute of Dental & Craniofacial Research (NIDCR).
If you do use spit tobacco and have decided to quit, you
need a plan. Quitting on the spur of the moment without a plan is harder. The following
section will give you tips on how to quit dipping or chewing. Spit tobacco is a tough
opponent -- but it is possible to quit.
1) Preparing To Quit
List the reasons you want to quit. These could include:
- You don't want cancer.
- You don't like bad breath.
- You don't like stained teeth.
- You don't want nicotine to control you.
2) Make A Step-By-Step Plan For Quitting
Build Your Support Team
- Ask for encouragement from family and friends.
- Ask another spit tobacco user to quit with you.
- Call organizations such as the American Cancer Society for
support groups in your
- Talk to your dentist or physician about nicotine gum or
Pick A Quit Date
- Taper down until you reach your quit date.
- Cut back or switch from the high nicotine brands to one that
contains less nicotine.
Find Alternatives To Spit Tobacco
- Sugarless gum or sunflower seeds make a good substitute.
- Stick to low-calories snacks.
3) On Quit Day...
- Change your daily routine.
- Stay busy.
- Reach for the gum, sunflower seeds or snacks.
- Make an appointment to get your teeth cleaned.
4) Dealing With Cravings For Spit Tobacco
Urges To Use Last Only A Few Minutes. Try Waiting Them Out.
- Do some deep breathing.
- Call a friend.
- Reach for substitutes like gum, seeds, or snacks.
5) Stick To It. Don't Give Up.
Quitting Takes Practice
- Chances of success increase with each try.
- If you slip, pick up right where you left off.
- Figure out why you slipped and how to avoid it next time.
For more information on how to quit spit tobacco
use, call 1-800-4-CANCER (422-6237).
Source: Spit Tobacco: Know The Score, National Institute of Dental Research,
Factsheet, April 1997.
Go Back to Our Homepage
About Us Contact Us Our Mission
Awards & Accolades
Feedback Web Site Map Refer Us
of Smoking Advertise With Us
External Quit Smoking Resources
Benefits of Quitting
Ingredients Found in Cigarettes
Our website is not designed to, and does not provide medical advice. All content, including
text, graphics, images and information available on or through QuitSmokingSupport.com is
for general informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute
for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Never disregard professional
medical advice, or delay in seeking it, because of something you have read on this
website. Never rely on information on QuitSmokingSupport.com in place of seeking
professional medical advice.
Updated March 2019